Avocados belong to the healthiest fruits around the globe and have become very popular among the people in recent years. The oldest avocado samples were found in Puebla, Mexico dating back to 10 000 BC. They are from the family as cinnamon and camphor, growing on a tree that can reach 6 feet in height. This tropical fruit, like bananas, ripens a week or two after picking.
The nutritional profile of avocado is really extraordinary, as it contains numerous vitamins from the B group as well as vitamin C, E and K, iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium, manganese, zinc, sodium, and iron. The average avocado is characterized by the containment of potassium, which is higher than in bananas (23% of the recommended daily allowance). This is great for your cardiovascular system and can lower the risk of stroke.
Here are some other health benefits of avocado:
– Avocados are rich in folate, a powerful compound which can prevent the risk of neural tube defects (spina bifida) and lower the risk of stroke and heart problems;
– Provides your body with a healthy amount of lycopene and beta-carotene;
– Because of the lutein, they can prevent eyesight problems such as cataract or macular degeneration;
– The beta-sitosterol, in avocados, can prevent the accumulation of plaque in the arteries and lower your LDL cholesterol and triglycerides in your blood;
– The oleic acid, according to recent studies, can prevent growth of oral cancer cells and prostate cancer;
– The high amount of fiber in avocados will promote weight loss, as it improves your digestion and regulates your blood sugar levels;
– The symptoms of arthritis can be treated by combination of avocado extract with a carrier oil, applying it topically;
– Thanks to the containment of flavonoids and polyphenols, avocados have powerful anti-inflammatory properties;
– The effects of the avocado oil on your skin will nourish it and treat all kinds of skin disorders (e.g. psoriasis);
– Eating avocados often will clean your intestines and relieve bad breath;
– The glutathione in avocados can slow down the aging process, protect your heart and fight free radicals in the body, preventing damage to our DNA,
– Avocados, in general effectively prevent cancer and other chronic diseases and conditions.
Because of their highly beneficial health properties, make sure to include them in your daily diet.
In order to enjoy all the benefits they offer, they can be eaten raw or added to salads or smoothies