Any kind of exercise can help you lose weight, but not all of them are equally effective.
As everyone wants to make workouts as efficient as possible, it is better to know the effectiveness of different kind of exercises, based on calories burned during the workout.
It is well known that the calories burned during your workout aren’t the only ones that affect losing weight, but your body can continue to burn calories at a higher rate after work.
Here are the 9 Best Exercises in Order
- Jumping rope (120 skips per minute)
Burned calories/hour: 667-990
Additional bonus: Use a weighted jump rope to engage your shoulders and arms even more.
- Running (10 min/mile)
Burned calories/hour: 566-839
Additional bonus: To burn down more during and after your workout, add faster running into your jog or short bursts of sprints, keeping a 2:1 work-to-rest ratio (e.g. 60 seconds running, 30 seconds walking).
- Kettlebell intervals
Burned calories/hour: 554-822 calories/hour
– After an HIIT circuit using kettlebells, the burning continues for 36 hours
– For best results, a fluid circuit is an option and not stopping to rest between each move.
– Switch between upper- and lower-body movements so you can keep exercising for a longer period of time.
– Try doing a set of kettlebell squats, kettlebell swings, and kettlebell push presses.
– Rest for 15 to 20 seconds after completing the three moves.
Burned calories/hour: 582-864
Additional Bonus: Keep your rest periods between rounds of jabs and kicks super short. Your aim should be 30 seconds of rest for every 90 seconds of sparring.
- Stationary bike (at a vigorous pace)
Burned calories/hour: 498-738
– Start with 10 seconds of intense pedalling and 50 seconds of rest.
– Move to 15 seconds of sprints and 45 seconds of rest,
– Do 20 seconds of sprints 40 seconds of rest after that, increasing the resistance as you progress!
- Rowing machine (150 watts)
Burned calories/hour: 481-713
– For a maximum torching power, row in super-fast one-minute intervals,
– Take 30- to 60-second active rest periods
– Alternate between squats, planks and pushups.
- Stairs (77 steps/minute)
Burned calories/hour: 452-670
Additional bonus: the stair climbing provides a good mix of aerobic and anaerobic exercise. To add more challenge hold a one- to five-pound dumbbell in each hand to get your upper body fired up, too.
- Elliptical/arc trainers (resistance level 8)
Burned calories/hour: 322-478
Additional bonus: don’t keep the same pace the entire time you’re on the elliptical, but vary the incline and levels of resistance, keeping things interesting
- Power yoga
Burned calories/hour: 226-335
Additional bonus: sign up for a power vinyasa flow class