Many people don’t know the importance of magnesium and this is a reason why they don’t pay attention of the deficiency of it. However, the deficiency of this mineral leads to numerous health issues.
According to the explanations of Dr. Carol Dean – a neuropathic and medical doctor the benefits that this mineral can do are:
– Activating the muscles and nerves
– Activating the adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which generate the body energy
– Improvement digestion of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates
– Acting as a precursor to serotonin
The percentage of people who get sufficient amounts of it is small despite its importance.
The problem that occurs because of the deficiency of magnesium can be muscle spasms, but they have an excess amount of calcium. Also, magnesium is essential for the cardiovascular health, because an imbalance between calcium and magnesium can lead to heart attack.
Comparing with the consumption of calcium the ratio should be 1:1, instead of 2:1 as it is believed.
The balance of the 2 minerals is influenced by vitamin K2 and vitamin D, so overworking of magnesium can be caused by a high dose of vitamin D, which leads to magnesium deficiency.
As all 4 nutrients are very important, its imbalance can heart attacks and stroke.
Dr. Dean explains that a century ago the people used to get 500mg of magnesium from their regular diet, and today that is even 200mg.
The sources of magnesium are:
– Green leafy veggies (as Swiss chard and spinach)
– Seeds (sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds)
Today the food that is grown, instead of magnesium and other essential minerals has herbicides, which work as chelators, causing obstruction in the uptake and usage of all minerals.
The status of magnesium in the tissues cannot be still accurately tested, but, in some labs which can be made RBS test of magnesium.
What are the symptoms of deficiency of magnesium? Here are the most frequent symptoms:
– Loss of appetite
Also, there are other symptoms as personality changes, seizures, numbness, abnormal heart rhythms, tingling, muscle contractions, coronary spasms, and cramps.
In what forms can be found magnesium?
Magnesium can be found as a form of magnesium oxide supplements, but they are difficult for absorption (only 4%).
Also, Epsom salt baths or foot baths are ways to improve the status of magnesium which can be easily absorbed.
Here are varying benefits of these different compounds:
– Magnesium Sulphate / Magnesium Hydroxide – used as a laxative. Keep in mind directions before taking them because you can easily overdose them.
– Magnesium Glycinate – provides highest levels of bioavailability and absorption you should take magnesium glycinate. It improves the needed magnesium level in the body.
– Magnesium oxide – 60% magnesium in it. It softens your stool.
– Magnesium chloride and Magnesium Lactate — 12% magnesium. It has a higher absorption.
– Magnesium citrate – besides magnesium it has citric acid and has laxative properties.
– Magnesium taurate – it has taurine, amino acid, and magnesium. It is used to calm your body and mind.
Deficiency of magnesium is caused by 2 main factors: stress and prescription drugs.
As magnesium relaxes the muscles and helps to prevent anxiety and depression, when you are under stress, you are losing magnesium. It makes the muscles in the blood vessels tight which cause increased blood pressure.
In order to reduce blood pressure doctors will usually give you a diuretic which will decrease the levels of fluid in the body, so reducing the pressure in the blood vessels, reduces the blood pressure.
The losing of magnesium is caused by diuretics, and you will not solve problems with a blood pressure because of it. When you will be given a calcium channel blocker, the magnesium levels fall, leaving the blood vessels tighter.
Dr. Dean, also considers that reduced level of magnesium in the body can cause uncontrolled cholesterol because magnesium is balancing the enzyme which creates cholesterol.
Diabetics usually suffer from a deficiency of magnesium and they are given drugs to increase the levels of magnesium.
According to Dr. Dean, the inflammatory effects are caused by calcium, while magnesium is known for its anti-inflammatory benefits.
So, we emphasize the importance to make a balance between magnesium and calcium because the excess consumption of calcium without magnesium can result in heart disease.