The consumption of water on an empty stomach is a therapy that originates from the ancient Ayurvedic medicine. It offers incredible number of health benefits.
In India, this therapy is known as Usha Paana Chikitsa, which, translated from the Sanskrit means “early morning water treatment.”
Having this practice, you’ll purify the internal system of the body and cleanse the colon. In addition it helps your body to absorb the nutrients from food
Dr. Fereydoon Batmanghelidj, re-discovered the knowledge about the water, concluding that this is a real natural elixir. He found that it can treat numerous diseases, like diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, asthma, migraines, and autoimmune disorders.
Treating 3,000 fellow inmates suffering from stress-induced peptic ulcer disease, he found the miraculous power of water, and his discoveries were revealed in the Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology in June 1983, and later in the New York Times Science Watch.
His theory was based on believing that people become chronically dehydrated over time, and the body’s natural thirst signals are usually mistaken for symptoms and signs of other illnesses.
Here you can find the explanation of the water treatment method:
- Immediately after you wake up, drink about (1) 8oz glass of fluoride-free water on an empty stomach. You could add minerals back into the water (baking soda for alkalinity). After drinking wait for 45 minutes before you eat or drink something.
- Furthermore, it is recommended to drink a cup of water half an hour before meals, and 2 hours after meals.
- According to the Japanese Medical Society, this treatment needs 10 days to treat some gastric issues and constipation, and 30 days to treat high blood pressure.
Here are several benefits when you consume at least an 8oz glass first thing in the morning:
- As after 7-8hours of sleep, the body is dehydrated, by drinking water, you are boosting the oxygen flow. That helps the creation of new blood and muscle cells, which energizes your body
- It accelerates your metabolism (around 24% for 90 minutes).
- Staying hydrated is especially important in the cold and flu season. It prevents sickness, manages stress and lowers cortisol levels.
- Hydrated body boosts immunity, and maintains the health of your lymphatic system (prevents infections).
- Having in mind that the brain tissue is 75% water, hydrating it will prevent fatigue, mood swings, and supports the function of the brain.
- The water detoxifies the body, supports the maximum enzyme function and cleanses the toxins and impurities
- Drinking water in the morning will help you eat less during the day. Researchers found that people who drink a glass of water before meals lost 4.5 pounds over a three-month period,
We all know that the water is not a miracle, but the fact that we are mainly comprised of water (72%), requires the proper hydration.
If you want to know what the amount for best results is, you should divide your weight in half and get the amount in ounces. When you drink caffeinated beverages, you should drink more, as caffeine is a diuretic.
The mineral balance of water should be maintained, so add 1/4 teaspoon mineral salt, like Celtic or Himalayan sea salt, per quart/liter of natural water.